The road to recovery.


Brandon underwent surgery 2/5 to correct his prematurely fused sutures. We arrived bright and early on Friday morning at 5:30am and my poor baby wasn't allowed to eat anything starting twelve hours before the surgery so Brandon's last meal had been at his normal bedtime at 6:00pm the night before. Even with no food in his belly he still seemed to be in good spirits. We were checked in and waiting in pre-op before we knew it. Finally after what seemed like a very long wait Dr. Elton and Dr. Schmelzer came into the room to let us know that they were ready. Marvyn one of the nurses that were going to be in the room during the operation explained what was going to happen regarding anesthesia and that he would update us periodically throughout the whole operation. I kissed my little baby's bulby forehead for the last time as tears were streaming down my face.
We were told that the procedure would take roughly 4 hours but about two hours in Dr. Elton came out to tell us it was a success and Dr. Schmelzer was finishing up with the stitches. Relief. We were to go to the PICU waiting room and as soon as Brandon was transferred into his bed we could go in and see him. I was so ready just to see my little buddy, to touch him and make sure he was whole. Finally around 1ish he was settled into his room and resting comfortably with the help of some morphine. I don't think i have ever hurt more inside in my whole life than i do now. I know that i did the right thing and i know that the swelling will go down and I will be able to recognize my beautiful baby boys face again however I cant help but question why i did this to my sweet little baby.
We are now on the other side. The swelling is bad but I think i now am noticing it starting to go down. I am so ready to see his sweet little smile again. I am ready for him to laugh. I am ready for him to not hurt anymore.

No comments: